Off and on over the last few weeks I've been reviewing my skills, passions and personality via online testing and reading. I have been doing more of the quick & easy self reviews, because that is what my current "burning the candles at both ends" time allows for.
When it comes to work, there is a fine line where we want to be using our gifts--those things that are natural for us and to be growing--being challenged by learning new tasks, solving problems, education, etc. Doing what we enjoy is important. Using our gifts and passions makes our work seem like not work. Our career choice impacts our life, our quality of sleep, how motivated we are and maintain, it impacts our relationships, our eating habits, our spending habits. Our career impacts a large part of our life because we spend a large portion of our life doing our jobs. Although many have, I'm not saying "go quit your job today if you aren't satisfied with what you are doing". However it is wise to coach a person to find a fulfilling career by taking daily steps to discover what that job is, where they can find it and what they need to do in order to obtain the job. If you dread going to work, if your work is draining you on a consistent basis--I would say it's clear and obvious you aren't using your skills and passions or you haven't found the correct company to work at.
Being self employed/a business owner, 'm taking these type of test and reading up on me, simply for education and for awareness. For example, I learned that those who battle ADHD struggle settling down, are diagnosed as "hyper", are twice as likely to be a smoker. For more common symptoms of ADHD CLICK HERE.
1. PERSONALITY TEST: this free personality test will help you discover who you are and your strengths. Learn how you score on the five most important personality traits. After the free report, you can even upgrade to an extended report if you like. Lastly, along with the personality test, on the right hand side you can see other test, such as IQ, DISC personality test that may help. Get started HERE
2. CAREER TEST: This career test will give you percentages of area interest. Took 2-3 minutes to complete. My results were: 83% business and finance, 50% education--high here because I like to mentor others--share my knowledge, 42% communications, 42% social science. Take your test HERE
3. WHO AM I MEANT TO BE: this test will allow you figure out what really defines you. Based on personality science, this test uses seven "striving styles," modes of thought and behavior that direct us to seek satisfaction in different ways. Although everybody is wired with all seven styles, most people have one that dominates. My results said I like to be in control, I like to help people, be spontaneous and recognized. Take your quiz: HERE
4. CAREER APTITUDE TEST: This quiz helps you determine the best career for you based on your unique skills and interests. Adjust your skills and receive a list of career suggestions based on data from the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics HERE
5. WORK VALUES TEST: simple, but a longer, more in-depth look at nine career values. On this test you pick based on best fit with your ideal job or you as a person. Some are difficult--you have to pick one. My results showed that I like overwelmy like to serve people or be didicated to a cause. Your choices will show what makes you happy or unhappy in your work and career. The test does require you to fill out some contact and personal information in order to see your results. Take your test HERE
This test answers questions such as:
Because the test results only offer overviews of your career values you may also want to consider taking a paid career test such as one HERE
If you are looking for more, simple Google phrases like: free career test, career assessment, free personality test, DISC personality test, Myers-Briggs test.
Email Chris here
Connect with Chris on LinkedIn here
Follow Chris on Facebook here
Chris & Jenn live in the Northwest suburbs of Chicago, Illinois. They were high school sweethearts, marrying in 2001. They are parents to one son, Luke (born November 1999) and two loving pups: Miley & Elsie.